Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Being Smart will make you unpopular...

A student shared an article with me the other day that was claiming that being a "nerd" or "smart" will make you unpopular. It may seem strange to say that because these are suppose to be diametrically opposed understandings - smart versus dumb, powerful versus powerless. How could someone who is smart be the unwanted individual while playing or appearing not so smart be the more desired outcome? This has been the position of my inquiry on this issue since I first heard Marianne Williamson's poem used in both Akeelah and the Bee and Coach Carter:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not in just some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

For me what this poem gives me is power and permission to be great. I AM ENOUGH! It does not serve me to be small in order to not make others feel secure and that kind of power must certainly be a more attracting commodity then mediocrity. The work around this is recognizing those moments when I am feeling powerful and being able to duplicate them not only for my own growth and development but to also provide an opportunity to manifest that in the world around me. If this makes me unpopular then so be it but I doubt that it will because

"Sometimes we wake up knowing that something wonderful will happen. Most of the time it doesn't but when it does, it happens for real"